The Laughter Solution: Lightening Up About Workplace Stress
Are your employees on the ragged edge of burnout?
Burnout in the non-profit and business sector has spread like a wildfire. Research shows that as many as 51% of employees report having “high levels of stress, with extreme fatigue or feeling out of control”.
This is not good!
Stress is an insidious morale drainer.
It sabotages the good communication and cooperation practices that lead to effectiveness.
The irony is that the very thing that drives many employees to overwork to the point of fatigue is the desire to do the right thing. Unfortunately, it often backfires when they can no longer function optimally.
And sadly, some even feel they must quit their job to get relief.
WHAT TO DO?
I offer a fresh perspective on this challenge and a new way for your staff to connect with each other.
LifeFire teaches ways to use mindfulness, Laughter Yoga and humor to lighten up your work environment.
In our workshops we mix movement, stretching and laughter to get out of habitual grooves that haven’t served us. We act out “tossing away” the things that bring us stress. We act out real-life dramas in a playful way to gain perspective, and bring a new set of “lightening up” skills into our everyday lives. We find non-habitual approaches and attitudes that help us view stressful situations with a fresh and lighter viewpoint.
All these creative exercises help people to connect in an authentic and playful way through eye contact, creativity and shared laughter.
When we can learn to laugh together often, to celebrate little victories as well as big ones, to appreciate ourselves and each other, the daily culture of work starts to shift for the better. **
● a team that really cheers each other on, and expresses their appreciation for each other regularly.
● meetings that people look forward to--where sounds of easy laughter burst forth regularly.
● a cooperative and supportive atmosphere being the norm.
WHY LIFEFIRE LAUGHTER YOGA?
Look… offering staff yoga and meditation classes to prevent stress is wonderful, but it's a very individualized solution to the collective challenges of group cohesion and cooperation. We need to do this as a group because…
LifeFire Laughter Yoga…
● Busts your stress - It reduces the levels of stress hormones, epinephrine and cortisol, leaving you more relaxed and zestful.
● Bonds people and helps them cooperate - When a group laughs together, they see the positive in each other and feel connected. They are more likely to work effectively as a team.
● Is just plain fun!
ARE WE A MATCH?
So, if you’re a non-profit organization or a progressive business who cares about
● Making this crazy world a better place
● The well-being, happiness and productivity of your staff
● Finding new and creative ways to energize your staff and help them collaborate better (you’re not stodgy!)...
Then this program could be perfect for you.
HOW IT WORKS:
This is no boring workshop series….
1. We begin with a fun, interactive and engaging half-day laughter workshop, customized for the needs of your staff, whether it be problems in communicating, collaboration or just feeling stuck.
2. I devise customized assignment/practices for the team to use in meetings and in daily communication with other staff.
3. I offer individual “lighten up check-ins” for staff to coach them on their specific issues and give them ways they can grow and thrive. If you have a large staff, I coach team leaders to help them guide their team and actually implement these tools.
4. We have our second laughter workshop, kicked off with a “What Have We Learned” section, and then a deepening and fine-tuning of “Lighten Up” skills.
5. I’m available between sessions for brief email or phone support to answer questions and problem-solve.
GIVE IT A TRY!
Contact Anniefor a free half hour phone consultation to see if laughter can get you out of your rut!
Annie Goglia’s LifeFire program was transformational for my staff at a time when we were working on a crucial campaign. It really brought us together to work as a team. We have been using it ever since to help us overcome the stress and challenges of our work. One person in particular had a big change of heart thanks to Annie’s program. The use and practice of these tools taught by Annie, transformed a person who seemed tough and difficult to a major cheerleader for her co-workers!
Lilly Vallee, SEIU-UHW
We were delighted to have Annie lead a session at our staff retreat. The staff found Annie to be very open, welcoming, funny, and skilled at engaging people—even when they were skeptical at first. She led exercises that were fun, but also addressed real stresses and concerns.
We took away ideas and tools we can use at work (and on our commutes!) to relieve tension in an entertaining and effective way. It was an incredible experience that made us feel more connected as a team.
Natalia Lopez-Montero Special Education Operations Analyst Aspire Public Schools
** "....participants in the laugh group had an 18% improvement in positive emotions and a 28% reduction in negative emotions and a significant reduction in perceived stress scale score."